Sunday, March 28, 2010

It's cold and it's a broken hallelujah

It's Sunday, and raining. I like to play this one a lot. It reminds me of how communication can break down between people, but I feel like there's an element of hope to it. Leonard Cohen did a fine job, Jeff Buckley perfected it. Rufus Wainwright and KD Lang have both done a superb job. KD's performance for the Olympics, unrushed, drew the Hallejulah didn't she?

I've played this twice in public:

- Once at the Dominion Pub at  the Corktown Uke Jam where the whole room sang hallelujah together. It was so beautiful that it made me feel like my soul was floating above the room.

- Once at the Harp in Port Credit after Paul passed away. Barely knew the guy but I can recognize a spirit who affects people around him.

When I sing it, I like to strip it away and let it just be honest and vulnerable, the way I think it's intended. So this is just me, my feelings, my uke and my voice.

I put a low G on my Fluke uke. I think it makes it sound better.

Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen cover / Jeff Buckley version by iloveuke

Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment