Sunday, February 14, 2010

Shell Shock - New Order cover by iloveuke

Let's go back to 1986, Pretty in Pink Soundtrack.


I went to see the McFlies the other night. They're a fun band to watch. As a friend put it last night, "you feel like you're at a school dance", as for many of us, the song selection takes on back to those days of slouching and braces; I kept looking around to see if anyone was going to ask me to dance... When no one did, I decided I would dance alone. There are always circles of girls dancing at the front of a show so I made some friends.

Oddly, back in high school, I didn't like pop very much. I liked the Smiths, Depeche Mode, Sinead O'Connor and I was dismissive of pop. Now as an adult, I play a lot of pop, likely because they offer nice, easy, and predictable 3-chord progressions to me on the ukulele (go Google that to find out more). Not that some of the alternative music doesn't have the I IV and V pattern, it just seemed that the songs were injected with better lyrics for a thinky/feely teenager like I was. If there were song of disappointment, dissatisfaction, I was all about that stuff to soothe me through my most awkward years.

Here's one that came on while I was waiting in the coat check line. I didn't think I had heard in about 10-15 years. There are only 2 chords in this song. When I got to the coat check, they couldn't find my coat, and then I yelled at a big bald Russian man named Rubin to find my coat. After about 5 long chaotic minutes of yelling at Rubin, and looking through the coat check myself, I found my coat. Good thing, because my car keys were inside of the pocket! Be careful of your coat at the Samovar room is the moral of this aside...Sorry I yelled at you Rubin, but you have to get your coat check people to get their act together.

Shell Shock - New Order cover by iloveuke

For Shell Shock, I only play two chords here because that's all I think it needs. In Garage Band I treated the track with a Flanger effect to bring it back to the 80s

Just remember...It's never enough until your heart stops beating, the deeper you get the sweeter the pain.

AJL

No comments:

Post a Comment