Saturday, February 6, 2010

Why I play the ukulele

I'm starting this blog because I play the uke almost every day. It's the right tool for me to express and interpret music. 
  • It's portable. 
  • If I fall asleep with it in my bed it doesn't hog the bed unlike some dogs and people I know.
  • It can be played while sitting at a stoplight.
  • It's easy to play, some chords use a single finger on a single fret. 
  • It's forgiving, you don't have to be awesome at it. 
  • The notes float high. It can sound plucky, bright, or whimsical sad.
  • It makes me friends
  • You can still rock out.
I played the guitar for years, but it's just not as satisfying as the ukulele. The guitar demands a perfection that my small hands could never reach and a seriousness that I never wanted to wear. I took the piano as a kid, and the cello in junior high. I'm also learning the accordion. Some of these instruments may appear. I've also been fooling around with garageband so we'll see what comes of that. 

This blog is about me and my ukes, and what the world is like in my head and the music I hear. I like to play, but I am not a "Know everything about the uke person". There is a geekiness to it that I will leave to other bloggers for music theory, collectors items, tablature. I am a child of the 80s and 90s so you'll likely see a lot of songs shared in that era here. I am challenging myself to put up at least one MP3 per week. Some will be better than others so be gentle with me. 


A.

No comments:

Post a Comment